Bullying: Awareness, Prevention, and Intervention
(Grades 4-8) / Semester Course
PDI Course Number: 64BXX / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41497
Are you concerned about the bullying epidemic? This online course is designed to teach elementary and middle grade teachers about the myths, facts, research, and current events that surround the topic of bullying. Teachers will be introduced to the most common types of bullying behaviors and they will become familiar with the various roles involved in bullying. Teachers will also learn about the effects that bullying has on learning. Strategies will be covered to help teachers effectively assess, prevent, and reduce bullying. At the end of this course, teachers will understand how to properly intervene during incidents of bullying, and they will learn how to develop and implement a variety of activities which are designed to put an end to bullying in the classroom. Teachers will also learn how to integrate character education into their content lessons, as well as how to partner with parents in an effort to end bullying. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I loved this entire course!!! I thought all the required readings were informative and gave much to reflect on. Fantastic class!!! LOVED LOVED LOVED the format!!!!" - Marnie Garcia
$170 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$365 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
Spring semester online courses must be completed by May 18th.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- Bullying: Research and Facts
- A Comprehensive Definition of Bullying
- Types of Bullying
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography/Write an article reflection
- Predictors and Contributing Factors
- Assessment and Identification of Bullying
- Creating Surveys
- Assignment #2: Create an online survey to assess bullying in your school
- Communicating and Reporting Responsibilities
- Roles of Bullies, Victims, and Witnesses
- Cyber Bullying
- Assignment #3: Create a cyber bullying handout
- The Impact Bullying has on Learning
- Long and Short Term Consequences of Bullying
- The Teacher’s Role: Creating a Safe Learning Environment
- Assignment #4: Develop activities that help combat bullying
- Legal Issues
- A Comprehensive Plan for Immediate Intervention
- Using Character Education to Combat Bullying
- Assignment #5: Write bullying discussion scenarios
- Working with Parents
- Bullying Management Activities
- Anti-Bullying Resources
- Assignment #6: Write a parent letter regarding bullying awareness
- Assignment #7: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.