Digital Storytelling: Using Technology to Write Stories
(Grades 4-12) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 43T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41612
Are you interested in learning creative ways to integrate writing and technology within your content curriculum? Digital storytelling is an excellent way to engage students because it allows them to use their technology skills to tell a story. There are also strong connections between digital story telling and writing content standards. This online course takes you through the entire digital storytelling process, from start to finish including story planning best practices, creating the story core, using story maps, and creating a script and story table. Teachers gain suggestions for efficiently teaching students to gather, produce, assemble, and edit various forms of media. Teachers will learn how to design digital storytelling projects for all content areas, allowing them to incorporate writing throughout the curriculum. Strategies and ideas are shared for story content as well as technology that can be used to produce the stories. Suggestions for student performance and presentation are shared along with appropriate ways to assess digital stories. The course also includes a sample digital story that can be shared with students as an exemplar. By the end of this course, teachers will feel confident teaching students how to create digital stories. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from University of California San Diego (UCSD) Division of Extended Studies. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"The reading materials provided were excellent. They were thorough in their content and explanations and made the process of creating a digital story very easy to understand" - Kara Eicholzer
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD
$329 with the discount
- What is digital storytelling?
- Digital Storytelling in the Classroom
- Digital Storytelling and the Common Core State Standards
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Basic Concepts and Materials
- Digital Literacy and Best Practices
- Types of Digital Stories
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Steps to Creating Digital Stories
- The Story Core
- Using Story Maps
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Story Planning Best Practices
- Character Transformation
- Creating a Script and Story Table
- Test #4
- Gathering and Producing Media
- Assembling and Editing Media
- Finalizing and Sharing the Product
- Test #5
- Performance and Presentation
- Assessing Digital Stories
- Creating a Digital Story: A Sample
- Assignment #4: Create a digital storytelling project and assessment
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.