Digital Storytelling: Using Technology to Write Stories
(Grades 4-12) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 43T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41612
Are you interested in learning creative ways to integrate writing and technology within your content curriculum? Digital storytelling is an excellent way to engage students because it allows them to use their vast technology skills to tell a story. This online course takes you through the entire digital storytelling process from start to finish. Teachers will learn how to design digital storytelling projects for all content areas, allowing them to incorporate writing throughout the curriculum. Strategies and ideas are shared for story content as well as technology that can be used to produce the stories. Appropriate ways to assess digital stories will also be shared. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"The reading materials provided were excellent. They were thorough in their content and explanations and made the process of creating a digital story very easy to understand" - Kara Eicholzer
Only $112 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
Only $284 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Make Me a Story: Teaching Writing Through Digital Storytelling by Lisa C. Miller
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- What is digital storytelling?
- Digital Storytelling in the Classroom
- Digital Storytelling and the Common Core State Standards
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Basic Concepts and Materials
- Digital Literacy and Best Practices
- Types of Digital Stories
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Steps to Creating Digital Stories
- The Story Core
- Using Story Maps
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Story Planning Best Practices
- Character Transformation
- Creating a Script and Story Table
- Test #4
- Gathering and Producing Media
- Assembling and Editing Media
- Finalizing and Sharing the Product
- Test #5
- Performance and Presentation
- Assessing Digital Stories
- Creating a Digital Story: A Sample
- Assignment #4: Create a digital storytelling project and assessment
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.